September 08, 2012

Dinosaur Biscuits

I've been wanting to use my dinosaur cookie cutters for months now, ever since I bought them when we went to the Natural History Museum in London

I had been a bit worried about making biscuits though, as I thought they would be very hard to get it right and for some reason using the cutters was quite daunting. Well daunting it is no more! I LOVE it and it's so much fun!


So, I started by looking everywhere on the internet for a biscuit recipe. Took me at least 1 hour to decide on which one to go for, I wanted to make sure it was going to be good. You see those little monsters aren't just for me and making me happy - and they do, trust me, you have only to ask Christoph and he will tell you that I screamed like a little girl when I make my first dino biscuit shape...I got so excited...ahem... - but they are also for our little visitors today. We are super excited as we are going to see our nieces and newphew today for a little picnic on the beach (yes yes the beach, again, we are new in Brighton ok? ;)) and what best for little snacks and a little extra energy - the energy is more for us adults - than Dino Biscuits?

And BBC Good Food turned out to have a good recipe so that's the one I chose. 



It's called Basic biscuit dough as you can add various things to it to make how you want want it. I chose to put some lemon zest in it for a little bit of zing (athough not enough if I am honest, next time I will put the zest of 2 lemons instead of 1). 

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients



  • 250g butter , softened
  • 140g caster sugar
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 300g plain flour


  • Mix 250g softened butter and 140g caster sugar in a large bowl with a wooden spoon, then add 1 egg yolk and 2 tsp vanilla extract and briefly beat to combine. Sift 300g plain flour and stir until the mixture is well combined - you might need to get your 
    hands in at the end to give everything a really good mix and press the dough together.

    Roll it out and start cutting! Repeat until you have no dough left. This recipe made LOTS of biscuits.

    Bake in the oven at 160C fan (180 non fan) for 11-12min. Then leave it too cool on a wire rack before storing. You can of course make them look very cool by adding colour and extras which I didn' do but maybe next time!



    No comments:

    Post a Comment